Drake gives perhaps his most honest, personal interview yet
Speaking with well respected UK veteran DJ Semtex, Drake addresses many of the hot topics surrounding his career and some of the criticisms he's faced in recent times.
Some of the key points:
- Kanye's rants about him and Khaled being "all they play on the radio" (after the release of 'For Free') didn't sit well with Drake. This could potentially mean the collaboration album between Drizzy & Ye is on the backburner for a while until they can completely patch things up
- Like most people he feels the Grammys are out of touch and in particular are messing up with the award categories. Drake felt 'Hotline Bling' should have come under the Pop category, rather than Rap (which they basically put it in just to keep him happy, when he wins). 'One Dance' not even being nominated annoyed him (considering it was the biggest song of 2016). However he couldn't really care less about his two award wins. He certainly wasn't going to put his UK tour on hold to attend the show
- After 40 commented during their studio sessions that a lot of his verses sounded defensive and frustrated Drake said he considered taking all rap off Views
- He's a big fan of London rapper Giggs. They have four tracks together (two on More Life, one on Gigg's next project and another just sitting round)
- He doesn't like being called a culture vulture or a wave rider
- Said he didn't steal xxxtention's flow from Look At Me. Didn't even know who he was when he previewed the new song with Giggs.
- Talked about the ins and outs of the Meek beef and how it all really came together. Said a very well known friend told him to finish Meek off and put the nail in the coffin (by recording 'Back To Back'). He has no reason to make up with him and be friends again.
"I respect revenge when it’s warranted"
- Explained the cultural similarities and the connection between Canada (Toronto specifically) and the UK. This helps clear up why he's so attracted to the U.K music scene
- Acknowledging ghostwriter claims and people saying that he isn't responsible for writing his own music Drizzy responded by saying that he's one of the best writers out, period. Calls anyone that thinks music isn't collaborative naive.
- OVO's More Life playlist is likely coming this weekend (24 Feb)!
Check out the the transcript at Nation of Billions